Monday, February 16, 2009

"I'm not telling you it is going to be easy - I'm telling you it's going to be worth it"

I quite like the above quote. I've been thinking a lot about my obession with instant gratitude (well really the whole cultures obsession with it...) The following are things we used to wait for without a thought;

1) Mail. No emails. No texts. Birthday cards came in the mail. And they sometimes didn't arrive until well past the day. That was alright though. Because an effort was made and we appreciated a late card as much as the ones that arrived on time.

2) TV shows. I used to watch TV at specific times to catch the shows I wanted to watch. Somehow I made it through 7 seasons of Full House without every watching the episodes online or on DVD. And I loved that show. And looked forward to the new episodes. Now I give up on a show if I can't find live streming online. And I'm usually pretty mad about it.

3) The caller on the phone. We would let the phone ring a few times and then answer it without (gaw!) knowing who was on the other end. I truley can't imagine answering a phone without knowing who was on the other end. God forbid I wait to answer the phone to see who the mystry caller is. I don't know how I got through high school without this technology.

4) Before there was ICQ (ugh-oh) and MSN and texting we had to wait to talk to our friends at school the next day. If we suddeny had a thought in the middle of the night we had to mull it over for several hours nefore bringing it over lunch in the cafeteria. Now every thought that everyone has is sent to someone. This may be the downfall of society. Constant regret. Doing things and saying things without much thought. Just "send."

I'm sure there are many more things out there I used to wait for. Now I have the patience of a goldfish. It's no wonder I think that getting healthy should happen faster. Vite, vite. I have places to go, people to see and no time for this. If I could I'd probably take a pill for this. That's sad.
Things are so easy now adays that I don't appreciate very much. I watch things are forget what I watched 10 minutes later. I go through days when I think "Wow, I did absolutly nothing of value today."(...ahh facebook.) I appreciate that damn degree I have. You know why? It took me 5 hard years of my life that I'll never get back. My marriage? 8 years of work to get to this place. That's why I really believe that even though getting healthy won't be easy, it will really be worth it.

PS - The scale was the lowest it's been this morning since beginning this journey. I'm sure it will go back up. Celebrate small victories though. I'm going for a breakfast sandwich with bacon. Just kidding :)

1 Comments:

At February 17, 2009 at 8:42 AM , Blogger jujulime said...

Dearest Reba,

I heart this blog - I love how insightful you are! You're so right about every point you made haha and i'm sure there about a million more of instant gratitudes. It's true through the best things come after hard work and patience degrees, relationships, healthier bodies these things shouldn't come at the drop of a hat or where would we be?? haha we would be no better than hollywood getting fat and thin over 10 days and marrying and divorcing every 10 seconds.

Congrats on the lowest scale this morning - don't have the mentality that it will go up little girl.... it's like what cesar millan says ... don't go into walking your dog thinking it's going to be a bad walk. A dog never plans for a bad walk it feeds off your energy. haha i know random... but your body doesn't think "here you go becky... here's a pound less enjoy it... because tomorrow i'm planning on gaining 10 more... mooohahaah" Your body is your attitude, desire, thoughts and actions you choose your destiny.

much love,
julie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home