Thursday, May 21, 2009

New Workout DVD Reviews


As I mentioned a couple days ago, I purchased the "Biggest Loser Bootcamp" and "Jillian Michaels' Blast Fat Boost Metabolism" DVD's. I'm actually very happy with both.


BL Bootcamp - Led by Bob.

This DVD is broken up into 3 sections plus a 5 min warm-up and 5 minute cool down. You ADD on sections as you get better, increasing the workout from 20min to 45min. I did the warm-up, the first 20min section and the cool down. I think after finishing the Shred I'm beyond just doing the beginner level on it's own. HOWEVER, I was totally soaked after the first section. I liked the variety in the moves and weight exercises. There are previous BL contestants doing the video with Bob and it's a little unorganized (all changing the moves at different times, etc) but I get the point. It's supposed to be for regular people. Also, I liked his Yoga based cool down moves. I'm unsure of how to count this video...I think maybe moderate rather than high. I wasn't DYING the entire time.


Jill's Fast Blast Boost Metabolism-
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this video. 40 minutes of intensity plus 5 min warm-up and 5 minute cool down. Interestingly, there are no weights involved. Her "girls" are super athletes which makes me be a little more hardcore and Jillian is by FAR more ripped in this video than she was in the Shred. She actually does most of the moves too, which is cool. This video is make up of 7 different 6 minute circuits. 2 are based on kick boxing, 1 is calisthenics, 1 is ply metrics, one is floor/plank etc. It is continuously intense and you really never stop moving. I recognised many of the moves from the Shred but there are a ton of new really awesome ones too. I was able to get through the entire video (alright, I stopped for water a few times) but I think it will remain challenging for quite some time. The DVD also has a feature that lets you choose which circuits you want to do...if you only have, say, 25 minutes. That's good too. I'll b e counting this as high intensity for 40 minutes (not counting the 10 min for warm up/cool down.) 6 AP's. If it get's substantially easier I'll move it to moderate. Definitely as intense if not more intense than the Shred for the time being though. I miss push-ups though. I was really starting to get used to those.


I'm partial to Jillian. Intensity is sort of my thing. I think the use of weights in Bob's will be a nice complement to Jillian's though.


Also, I added in a 12 minute "Oldie but goodie" video for abs from my Slim in 6 DVDs. "Slim in 6 pack" I find both videos are sort of lacking in hardcore ab moves, so this should keep the momentum going in that department. In addition, I've been trying to do either a short Pilate's or stretch video every evening so my body doesn't give out on me :) It's quite relaxing and I can reach well past my toes with straight legs while stretching. Never been able to do that before.


Alright, that's my reviews. Julie, you know the drill. I'll bring the DVD's for you to "try" when we meet up for our reunion run in a couple weeks....eek...less than that.


Good luck at your weight in tomorrow Julie. Hope everyone else is having a great week.


PS - I had an adventure this morning trying to make homemade almond butter.....was I successful?...you can wait anxiously for my post on that :)



1 Comments:

At May 21, 2009 at 2:35 PM , Blogger jujulime said...

hahaha reba... what did you possibly google search to get that comic picture?! haha i laughed out loud looking at how lame that was! good for you on the new videos i can't wait to try them!! as for our run i bet we could do it in 45 mins how many run/walk that is i dunno but on the tredmill the distance is 3.15 miles so giver! anyways i will call you tomorrow in the morning as soon as i know!

xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home